Sunday, October 25, 2009

"Back to the Basics" by Priyanka Tayal

Into the first module of my MBA career, to say it is an adjustment after 4 years of working is an understatement. I went to undergrad for my BBA at the University of Miami after which I proceeded to work in the field of Finance in New York city. Undoubtedly my experiences at two of the world’s largest investment banks were priceless, but I knew that my knowledge domain had to be enhanced in order to be in line with my career objectives. Finance helped me discover that the clients I wanted to work with were and are at the other end of the spectrum. Being from India and living, traveling and studying extensively in developing countries, International Development is a natural fit for me.

With this realization came a further insight – education was key to my success. I wanted to pursue a degree which could leverage my business background while allowing me to pursue my goals in development. Here, the George Washington University served as an ideal match. Let alone the political capital that is the Washington DC, GWU through the provision of the Strategic Management and Public Policy domain, has allowed me to align my education with my career ambitions.

Furthermore, pioneering opportunities such as the Certificate in Responsible Management align the union between management (business) and responsibility/sustainability (development). Visualizing my MBA through the lens of development is extremely important for me to get the most from my education, and pursuing possibilities which permit this, such as the Certificate, are vital and valuable.

Priyanka Tayal, Global MBA 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment